1.07.2017

Hillbilly Elegy

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
Published by Harper on Jun. 28, 2016
Genre(s): , Nonfiction, Memoir, Politics, Social Issues, Poverty,
Format: Kindle/Audiobook
Pages: 272
Goodreads synopsis: 

From a former Marine and Yale Law School Graduate, a poignant account of growing up in a poor Appalachian town, that offers a broader, probing look at the struggles of America’s white working class. Part memoir, part historical and social analysis, J. D. Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy is a fascinating consideration of class, culture, and the American dream.

Vance’s grandparents were “dirt poor and in love.” They got married and moved north from Kentucky to Ohio in the hopes of escaping the dreadful poverty around them. Their grandchild (the author) graduated from Yale Law School, a conventional marker of their success in achieving upward mobility for their family. But Vance cautions that is only the short version. The slightly longer version is that his grandparents, aunt, uncle, and mother struggled to varying degrees with the demands of their new middle class life and they, and Vance himself, still carry around the demons of their chaotic family history. 

Delving into his own personal story and drawing on a wide array of sociological studies, Vance takes us deep into working class life in the Appalachian region. This demographic of our country has been slowly disintegrating over forty years, and Vance provides a searching and clear-eyed attempt to understand when and how “hillbillies” lost faith in any hope of upward mobility, and in opportunities to come.

At times funny, disturbing, and deeply moving, this is a family history that is also a troubling meditation on the loss of the American dream for a large portion of this country.


A friend recommended this to me after I told him how much I enjoy reading memoirs, and I was so glad that he did. I went to Miami University, so I was more than familiar with the area in which much of the story takes place. This gave me a little perspective and a way to visualize and understand the scenes JD Vance was painting; however, even if I had never even heard of the small Ohio town, his descriptive writing made it easy to feel as if I had known it all my life.

The unique thing about the way that Vance writes is that in describing the hardships of his life and town, I could see my own town, family, and friends in the same way. While his story is unique, it is not the only one of it's kind. I don't think that Vance was trying to insinuate this, but instead the exact opposite- that so many American families experience life in poverty with varying hardships and if other Americans can take time to see and understand this, it will add value to how we connect and form relationships with those that are different from us.

This book was enlightening to read post-election, as well, after so many differences were brought up from each opposing party. I would recommend this memoir to everyone as a way to take a step back and appreciate another culture. I'm a sucker for memoirs, but this was without a doubt one of my favorites I've read, and I believe it will remain in my top 5 for years to come.

Rating:


0 comments:

Post a Comment