7.14.2017

milk and honey

milk and honey by Rupi Kaur
Published by Create Space on Nov. 4, 2014
Genre(s): Nonfiction, Poetry, Feminism
Format: Paperback
Pages: 204
Goodreads synopsis: 

milk and honey is a collection of poetry and prose about survival. It is about the experience of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity. It is split into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose, deals with a different pain, heals a different heartache. milk and honey takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.


I read some of the reviews on goodreads and felt disappointed that people would dismiss this woman's work so quickly because they didn't personally resonate with her words, so I decided to check it out for myself.

Many of the negative reviews seemed unfair to me, but maybe I don't understand because the book did speak to me on a personal level. Regardless, I'm not an expert on this style of writing, but I still believe that this collection was brave and raw and just real. It put words to feelings that many young men and women may be feeling but are unable to express.

It's hard to summarize these feelings into one review since some of the pieces were so vastly different, and I hate to give excerpts as they would essentially be spoiling the book. I'll just say that I really enjoyed reading Rupi Kaur's words accompanied by her exquisite sketches, and page after page, I was so glad that I picked up her book. Her journey through poetry and prose was tragic and beautiful and I look forward to reading it again.

Rating:


0 comments:

Post a Comment