8.05.2017

Leaving Time

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
Published by Ballantine Books on Oct. 14, 2014
Genre(s): Fiction, Contemporary, Mystery
Format: Audiobook / Paperback
Pages: 398
Goodreads synopsis: 

For over a decade, Jenna Metcalf obsesses on her vanished mom Alice. Jenna searches online, rereads journals of the scientist who studied grief among elephants. Two unlikely allies are Serenity Jones, psychic for missing people who doubts her gift, and Virgil Stanhope, jaded PI who originally investigated cases of Alice and her colleague. Hard questions and answers.


The first book I ever read by Picoult was My Sister's Keeper. I liked the book, but I remember having trouble getting through it. i could chalk it up to my young age, inexperience reading long and dense novels, or maybe that it just didn't grasp my attention like Harry Potter. Whatever it was, anytime another Picoult novel came across my radar, I always sort of just waved it off, uninterested. When I think back to My Sister's Keeper, and my reaction reading the book, I know that I liked it, so I'm not sure where the weird, negative association comes from. However, I read Small Great Things earlier this year and I was completely blown away. This isn't a review for either of those books, obviously, but my point is to give context as to why I decided to read one of Picoult's earlier works now. After realizing my mistake of passing up on her books over the years, I clearly have a lot of catching up to do on this brilliant author's work.

I picked up Leaving Time randomly, having no idea what the book was about. I've been doing that a lot lately- going into a story without even so much as reading the synopsis. It can be really exciting for books that grab you right in the first chapter, and this one definitely did. I won't say much about the plot, in case that's your style of reading new books, as well.

In classic Picoult style, the twist at the end rocked me! I didn't see it coming AT ALL, and it made me reconsider the entire book. I had to think back to things that had been happening to the characters and look at them in a different way. It was so well done, I found myself considering similar situations in my own life, wondering if I should be taking another look at the world around me and not just that of these characters.

The story was written with each chapter from a different character's viewpoint, although, I would have liked to see the story from the viewpoint of a couple more characters. I'm not sure if Picoult left the viewpoints of two integral characters in the story out on purpose, or if she just felt that it wasn't necessary. It definitely added more mystery to the plot, but it also left a lot to be desired given their roles in the lives of the other characters.

Overall, the book was an easy, entertaining, and surprising mystery to keep you on your toes until the last page. If you haven't read it, I definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoys Picoult's work or is looking for a new author to love.

Rating:


0 comments:

Post a Comment