1.16.2015

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova
Published by iUniverse in 2005
Genre(s): Contemporary, Adult, Psychology, Fiction
Format: Kindle
Pages: 292
Goodreads

Alice Howland is proud of the life she worked so hard to build. At fifty years old, she’s a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard and a world-renowned expert in linguistics with a successful husband and three grown children. When she becomes increasingly disoriented and forgetful, a tragic diagnosis changes her life--and her relationship with her family and the world--forever.

At once beautiful and terrifying, Still Alice is a moving and vivid depiction of life with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease that is as compelling as A Beautiful Mind and as unforgettable as Judith Guest's Ordinary People.


This book was recommended to me by my mother, through a recommendation that was made to her by a colleague are her University. I was anxious to read the story that tells the tale of a woman that is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease because my Grandma has the early stages of the disease herself. Then, recently, I realized that this book was made into a film starring Julianne Moore! This book was such a beautifully written description of the terrible disease that wreaks havoc on our society. Even though I felt that having experienced this disease affecting my Grandmother and others in my family I knew and understood the disease well enough, reading about the disease from an affected person's perspective was very grounding, moving, heart-wrenching, and just incredible. I very much loved the story. It made me laugh and cry. I highly recommend it.

Rating:

Current and Upcoming Reads:
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Any recommendations that I should add to my reading list?

0 comments:

Post a Comment